Yucaipa Valley Water District is launching its first Water Wise Landscape Contest to reward customers with water efficient landscapes. In addition, the District will use submitted residential landscape images to inspire others to make Water Wise choices. There are three contest categories that residents can enter:
- Drought-Tolerant: This category is open to all District water customers with drought tolerant landscaping. Winners will be selected based on their use of beautiful water-efficient plants in their front yards. The appropriate use of mulch and drip irrigation to reduce water use will also be considered.
- Dual-Plumbed: This category is open to all District customers living in a dual-plumbed home. These are homes that have recycled water irrigation to the front and backyards. To be eligible, contestants need to have attended the mandatory Recycled Water Site Supervisor Training. Because these yards use recycled water for irrigation, winning yards do not necessarily need to be drought-tolerant. Winners will be selected based on their compliance with recycled water guidelines and the overall aesthetics of their front or backyards. People with vegetable gardens are encouraged to submit.
- Recycled Water Fill Station Hauler: This category is open to all District water customers who have attended the Fill Station training and have hauled recycled water within the last 12 months. Because these yards use recycled water for irrigation, winning yards do not necessarily need to be drought-tolerant. Winners will be selected based on aesthetics or productivity of their yards or gardens. Learn more about the Recycled Water Fill Station Program.
Three winners will be selected from each category and up to eight total honorable mentions may be selected. Winners may select either a Stater Brother's gift card or credit on their YVWD bill in the following amounts: First Place-$300, Second Place-$200, Third Place-$100, Honorable Mention-$50.
Winners will be announced by July 29th, 2021.
- Applicants must be a YVWD water customer.
- The applicant's YVWD account must be current.
- Application must be submitted by June 30, 2021.
- Photos of landscapes may be posted on the District website and social media to promote water conservation.
- A District employee may be required to visit and take additional photos of winning landscapes.
- Contestants must submit 3-6 photos of their landscape.
- Make sure photographs are clear and aren't showing cars and trashcans in the frame.
- Take photos at different times of the day to find the best lighting.
- Take photos from several vantage points (from the curb, close up photos of plants. etc.)
- Take photos that show the entire landscape and photos that show smaller sections.